Monday, October 20, 2008

& you/ you're not doing so well/ all the blogs are about you/

I spent Saturday in Bk: fort greene, williamsburg, greenpoint, fort greene, williamsburg. Highlights? Eating a bagel from Verb Cafe, seeing Ethan (my ex's cat) eating at General Greene, and Spector's bday party. I spent Sunday running errands and attempting to recover from Saturday- got in late so I was quite tired all day.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Deep Disco invited me to this today:

Can We Save the World Economy?

Conversation with George Soros, Nouriel Roubini, and Jeffrey Sachs

Monday, October 20, 3:30 pm to 5:00 pm

Columbia University, Miller Theater, Broadway at 116th Street


It was definitely worth making the hike up to Columbia. I was quite impressed with Roubini and Sachs. Sorros was already a given and I loved the way he illustrated the complexity of the economy and its bursting buy using bubbles. I kept thinking of the bubble blower who stands on the coner of Centre and Canal- somehow this guy and the people that ru(i)n our economy didn't seem so different, you know?


Sachs, by way of Sorros' book, The Bubble of American Supremacy, mentioned that students trained in economics are not trained to be skeptics and that they project depth via the surface. In other words, they take surfical economics then infer the depth via this reflection which is why they are so reckless and aren't accounting for the collaspe which came from the murky depths of an ill-structured system.


I couldn't help but think about my biggest and most consistant complaint in regards to students is that they are not skeptics nor do they want to investigate intelligence and own it. They are more than too happy being told and accepting surface as the complete and (un)complex reality.


A h h u m a n i t y


Wait up Bartleby I'm beyond depressed & on my way



No comments: