Teachers & Writers Collaborative awards the Bechtel Prize annually in recognition of an exemplary article or essay related to:
Creative writing education,
Literary studies, and/or
The profession of writing.
The winning essay appears in Teachers & Writers magazine, and the author receives a $2,500 honorarium. Honoraria totaling $1,000 are shared by the authors of entries selected as finalists for the Bechtel Prize, which may also be published in Teachers & Writers.
Possible topics for Bechtel Prize submissions include contemporary issues in classroom teaching, innovative approaches to teaching literary forms and genres, and the intersection between literature and imaginative writing. The previous winners of the Bechtel Prize can be found at www.twc.org/publications/bechtel-prize/Bechtel-prize-winners.
Prospective entrants for the Bechtel Prize are encouraged to review a sample issue of Teachers & Writers to familiarize themselves with the magazine’s style. Go to
www.twc.org/publications/magazine to order a sample issue of the magazine for $5.00.
The submission deadline for the 2008 Bechtel Prize is 5:00 PM (Eastern), Monday, June 30, 2008. Please refer to the submission guidelines below for additional information.
Support for the Bechtel Prize
To make a contribution to support the Bechtel Prize or Teachers & Writers magazine, please contact Loyal Miles, T&W director of development and marketing, at 212-691-6590, firstname.lastname@example.org.
2008 Bechtel Prize Submission Guidelines
· Submissions should relate to creative writing education, literary studies, and/or the profession of writing.
· Submissions must be previously unpublished and under 5,000 words in length.
· Submissions must be typed, paginated, and double-spaced.
· Submissions will be judged anonymously. The author’s name and address must not appear anywhere on the essay/article.
· Two copies of the entry must be submitted. One copy should include a cover page with the following information: the author’s name, mailing address, e-mail address, telephone number, the title of the submission, and where the author learned about the Bechtel Prize. The other copy should include a cover page with only the title.
· Authors of the Bechtel Prize winner and finalists must permit Teachers & Writers Collaborative to publish their submissions in Teachers & Writers. Teachers & Writers Collaborative reserves the right to edit the submissions for publication.